Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Finding Work

So here's the deal, I'm sick of my current job. I graduated last year with a B.A. in Psychology and after that I was...lost. I didn't know whether to get a job or get a Graduate degree or both. I realized that I needed a "real" job sooner rather than later, especially since my insurance ran out once my schooling was finished. But finding a job in Michigan is so hard! After 9 long months of searching I finally got a job working for IBM in their accounting department at about the same time that I started school again for Library Science. Now after about 6 months of working in accounting I realize I hate it!! I actually dread coming to work. I don't like feeling that way. I've decided that if I'm serious about having a career in the library world I need to step up to the plate and look for a job, anywhere in the country, that will hire someone that does not yet have their degree. I have just come up with this plan 4 days ago and have already sent out 13 applications. I really want this opportunity. The library is one of my favorite places to be in the world and the idea of actually making a living by working in one is almost too much to bare. I'm nervous that because I am applying for so many jobs out of state that maybe I won't be taken as seriously, I'm not sure why. I guess I'm just thinking that maybe they'd hire a resident over a non-resident, silly I know. I really hope I get one of these jobs, I need a big change like this right now.

No comments: